Meriwether & Tharp ranked as one of the nation's fastest growing private companies for the 5th Year in a row by Inc. 5000!!

Thanks for printing!  Don't forget to come back to Meriwether & Tharp, LLC for fresh articles!

License Revocation

Failure to pay child support could result in your driver's license and/or your professional license being suspended. 

Driver's License

A parent who fails to pay their child support may have their driver’s license and registration suspended. Before, the license may be suspended, the court must provide the nonpaying parent with notice when they are 15 days late in making a payment. If the nonpaying parent does not pay the outstanding payments 20 days after receiving notice, the court may request the department of motor vehicles to suspend their drivers license. However, 20 days after receiving notice, the nonpaying parent may petition the court for a temporary license for business purposes. As a condition of the business license, the nonpaying parent must agree to a schedule of payments for the outstanding and continued child support. If the nonpaying parent still fails to comply with the schedule of payment, the court may then additionally request the department of motor vehicles to suspend their driver’s license. Fla. Stat. § 61.13016.

Professional License

Additionally, the court may suspend or deny a professional license or certificate if a parent has failed to pay their child support or alimony. After receiving notice, if the nonpaying parent still has not payed or reached an agreement to pay the outstanding payments, the other parent may petition the court for the nonpaying parent’s professional license or certificate to be suspended or denied. It is at the court’s discretion to deny this request if it finds that it would result in irreparable harm to the nonpaying parent, his or her employees, or if the nonpaying parent can show that they made a good faith effort to reach an agreement with the other parent. Likewise, the court may not suspend or deny a license if it determines that an alternative remedy still exists that is likely to result in payment for the other parent. Fla. Stat. § 61.13015(3).

 Practice Pointer - Can a professional license be reinstated?

Yes. If the nonpaying parent provides written proof and later pays the outstanding child support, the license or certificate will be reinstated. Fla. Stat. § 61.13015(4).



Primary Office Locations

By Appointment Only

Contact M&T Today

We can help with all your questions...